Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:48 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

OK, so until we have a proper guides section or anything like that, I figured I'd start a sticky post and just start adding any new mechs to the post.

I'm reserving the next 4 posts for light, medium, heavy, assault. So if you plan on using http://mwo.smurfy-net.de to create your load outs, just put up a brief description and I'll add it to the right post under the 4 posts I reserved so its real easy to find the good bits.

Last edited by Freelancer on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Lights

Team Banzai Admin/Chump

MEDIUMS

CDA-3M
Dai-San posted this one, pretty standard 3M build with ECM, 4 pulse lasers and a buttload of speed.

Last edited by Freelancer on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Banzai Admin/Chump

HEAVIES

Dragon

FANG - Sniper
This mech will go just 83kph with the speed tweak, the two large lasers give a nice hit to soften an armor plate, while the gauss is usaully best to hit with second since its a killer crit seeker. Advanced zooom module, Target information gathering and 360 targeting are the modules I like to run.
- Freelancer

Cataphract

ILYA MUROMETS
Pretty standard, dual-gauss sniper. One of my best mechs for grinding c-bills and racking up kills.

Cataphract - Ilya Muromets
With the new changes to PPCs, I've built a 3ERPPC Ilya and its tough as nails and deals death like crazy.

- Max armor minus 2 points
- 300 Standard Engine
- 3 ERPPC
- Heat Sinks for the rest.

Its a little on the hot side, but not too bad, has good speed for a heavy and his highly survivable because two PPCs are on the torsos and the standard engine.

Catapult

CPLT-K2
A guy at MWO was asking for advice on the K2 but has limited Cbills to max it out. This one is pretty much the standard Gausspult. 2 Gauss, a standard 200 engine and 7 tons of ammo. Being a new pilot, I figure that by the time one grinds up the cbills, they'll have learned how to conserve ammo a little better, so dropping a ton of ammo and putting in a 250xl would be what I'd do.

Last edited by Freelancer on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Team Banzai Admin/Chump

ASSAULTS

Stalker

TIP- If you see one, try giving it a shot in the leg and see what happens. I've noticed a lot of stalker builds have very light leg armor making them easy to gimp then kill.

Tips
Dai-San wrote:
Remember to use the scenery. It's amazing how many times I see a Heavy or Assault trying to track a circling light (even if they are reversing) and getting their rear cored when they could have just backed up against a building or cliff and denied the little bugger access to their rear armour and forcing the light to either find another target or risk staying in the Heavy/Assaults forward arc.

-Dai-San

Last edited by Freelancer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:14 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

MODULES

Target Information Gathering - Its a great module to have on most mechs, lets you see the enemy load out faster and that can mean the difference between closing in fast on a pure LRM boat to beat the snot out of it from within 180m, or staying the hell away from an A1 SRM boat and clipping its ears off from a safe distance.

Advanced Zoom - Obviously if you plan on sniping, you're going to want this. While the image is grainy and looks like hell, it still comes in handy in a lot of situations. Particularly when a mech has silhouetted itself against the sky, is stationary and you want to nail it in the CT, the zoom module will give you that accuracy.

360 Targeting - Brawlers mech must have.

...I'll get to the others.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

LINKS

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

GENERAL TIPS

Shooting at fast moving targets;

A lot of new players are having an extremely difficult time hitting lights, same as in the old days. So here goes...

-If you're trying to land shots on a fast target, always, ALWAYS, try to shoot at your opponent when they are moving directly away or towards you. Hold of your shot for half a second, wait till they turn away from you.

-If you're being circled by a light, back up. Your able to turn much tighter circles while backing up than moving forward. If you're trying to move forward and keep up with light with a maxed out engine, you're likely going to have your back armor stripped out very quickly.

-Remember to twist like crazy when your getting hit.

- AIM FOR THE LEGS! With no knockdown and net code not yet optmized, a lot of shots just miss and it takes an awful lot of hits to take out a light with body shots when they're running Mach2. Take out a leg, slow them down, and they suddenly become a lot easier to kill.

Legs

I've noticed a lot of players really try skimping on leg armor to squeeze in that extra couple tons of ammo or those extra two medium lasers. I'll usually take a shot at a mechs les and see what happens. I've been able to rip apart a lot of Stalkers this way with relative ease because they totally skimped on armor in favor of weapons.

So this one is kind of a dual purpose tip. Don't skimp on armor, and sometimes (I always go for the legs on a light) it doesn't hurt to take a shot at a leg on a bigger mech...sometimes you're in for a pleasantly easy kill.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:56 am 
Team Banzai

TAG is the anti ECM so far, they moved its range to infinite recently and being able to snipe target people like 'Q'ing used to do in MW4 is now possible.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:25 am 
Team Banzai

Remember to use the scenery. It's amazing how many times I see a Heavy or Assault trying to track a circling light (even if they are reversing) and getting their rear cored when they could have just backed up against a building or cliff and denied the little bugger access to their rear armour and forcing the light to either find another target or risk staying in the Heavy/Assaults forward arc.

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby