Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby

Post subject: Sooo...
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:01 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Anyone getting Mech 5 on Dec 10th?

Post subject: Re: Sooo...
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:29 am 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Haven't looked into it all that much yet. My computer is so old it can't run it anyway. Planning to upgrade at some point, at which time it may be a possibility. Hope they add a true multiplayer option like MW4.

And Happy Thanksgiving!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:43 pm 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Happy Thanksgiving to you Gwyd! Looks there will be limited multiplayer. I think it's hosted by one of the players. I did read that starting in 2020 the mod community will be able to make mods. I finally upgraded earlier this year so I should be good.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:04 pm 

Yes.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:17 pm 
Team Banzai

Just saw an ad while upgrading vid card drivers, am considering this one

Post Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:34 am 

ALREADY PLAYING YOU ASSHATS!

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:54 pm 
Team Banzai

I didn't even know there was a mech5. Life's too busy now to get good at PC games to the level I enjoy. When people want to merc someone has to sell them the supplies!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:21 pm 

If your on the fence about MW5...

I'm with Hazmat, I don't have the time to get online player level good, and I'm using ancient Saitech equipment that still works well. But every so often I have some time to goof off, so I blow something up, shoot something down, or just fly somewhere.

MWLL & MWO were too arcade / first person shoot for me so I tried but barely played either. MW5 is pretty and there seems to have been some effort to both bring it back to MechTech (MT) standards and balance the game with very rigid hard point rules such as no turning an LRM20 hardpoint into a bunch of LRM5's. There is a mod to make it much prettier but you'd better have the gpu for it.

To suit the modern player that has no idea what MT is, it suffers but being sort of game like. There is too much armor so a Gauss or AC20 does not core or rip off all of the armor of most mechs in a single shot and thus there is too much ammo for all non-energy weapons. That would have been more MT like but I can hear the whining in the distance the moment it worked like that. Heat management is harder, I suspect some of the YouTube vids I've watched have mods installed to super charge the sinks as there are too many laser boats than is practical in vanilla MW5. Mechs larger than medium are still too easy to get a hold of, a more MT type game would have made getting your hands on an assault be like having your bday/turkeyday/xmas all at once. And you would have to fight for and salvage it, no one is selling assaults and any purchased heavy is extremely rare and nearly ruined.

But I like it. And there are already many mods including a few that make big steps to bring MT table top physics to the game MT such as ramping up the appropriate weapons or downsizing the mechs to their appropriate volumes for their lore weight and heights which means all mechs are harder to shoot at a distance and the game becomes a little less arcade like. There are also very large mods that bring in many Lostech mechs and weapons and Clan mechs and weapons. There is even a silly mod that turns an Urbie into the fasted mech on the battlefield at 324m/s = 1,166.4kph = 724.83mph = 0.95214mach@sl, which means if you could somehow not run into everything you could cross a map in around 1 second. It does make running off cliffs fun but that just made me miss using jumpjets in MW2 when you were on small moons.

There are serious mods for changing game play, missions, etc and then there are those that just change everything like turning MW5 into MechCommander. I haven't tried that yet but what a cool idea. I don't have time to play MW5 often but an MC version appeals and is something I could more easily play in the brief windows I have available.

There's always going to be issues each player may not like, but over all there is a lot to like.
Go here for to see the mods.
https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:04 pm 

Miss this place from the oughts.

Hope all the former Banzai former nut house denizens and visitors are doing well.

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby