Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby

Post subject: Battle Stories
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:48 am 
Team Banzai

So I was pugging in my Hunchback 4SP, which had a shiny new standard engine in it that pushed me to 81 kph (without speed tweak skill).

Got rolled, of course, against a premade. A bunch of Founders. So obviously, the odds were poor.

The map was Frozen City and the blizzard was thick. The team spread out across the map in a haphazard manner, as always. The rear tunnel exit was unwatched, but I wasn't about to volunteer to scout it. Against a premade team, that's a good way to die really, really fast.

But luck was with us, I suppose, as the enemy decided to deploy in front of us. They rushed to secure the map edge but we saw them and gave chase. While our bigger mechs sniped from a distance, another Hunchback and I skirted their flank. I think we surprised them, charging around the iced over buildings to dump laser fire and missiles into their sides. I charged straight through their lines, firing as fast as my guns recharged. This was perhaps unwise as lasers and missiles battered me from all directions, but I extracted my price in pain and withdrew more or less intact.

An enemy hunchback was crippled in this attack, his heavy autocannon and right side torn apart. He panicked and fled off the cliffs. I followed.

He turned to face me, but he had no chance. I ground his metal carcass under my mech's feet.

By the time I got back up the cliffs though, my team was dead. Seven enemies remained on the map. So I ran away. I touched a few bases, but didn't stay for more than a second, flashing their beacons and forcing them to scatter to look for me.

The enemy jeered and mocked me as they searched the map. But I was unimpressed by their pettiness. I held my tongue and bided my time. After a minute or two, I took a chance and peeked up through the snow drifts. My radar blipped. I found a target and he found me.

He was an Awesome, fitted with heavy lasers and LRMs. Those missiles scattered along buildings but his lasers boiled armor off along my Hunchback's shoulders. Perhaps he hoped I would run and be rained upon at range. I turned into the attack. I was careful. Where he swept his lasers around to hit me, I took a breath and focused my fire. My lasers charred at his breast plate, ripping him wide open. Two short-ranged missile salvos corkscrewed into his chest, tearing his engine apart. He dropped into the snows trailing sparks and fire. I gave him and his team a fairly contemptuous message as I vanished again, returning the earlier insults with a more succinct "Boo."

A blizzard of ice hid me again from their search, until I happened across a Stalker marching down a ravine. I dropped right beside him and opened up on him. I had the advantage. His missiles wouldn't be able to hit me so close. I exploited that fact and opened up his ammunition bins to air. I left him to explode on his own time.

My fourth opponent caught me by surprise. An Atlas rounded the corner in front of me, spitting Ultra AC shells. The tore into my left arm, taking with them two of my medium lasers. I returned the favor with interest. My missiles crippled his ballistic bays before they ran dry. I circled him at a distance, letting his own missiles scatter impotently while my remaining guns exploited the rents in his hide. His teammates drew closer like sharks, a Catapult and two Centurions, but they did not arrive in time to save him. I dropped him steaming into the snow and let him roll down the hill.

I swept the remaining enemies with some errant laser fire and then disappeared into the Frozen City, weapon reports barking after me like disappointed hounds. Though the match was lost, I would not be their prey today. They didn't have the required cunning to hunt a ghost.

Moral is, don't taunt players, no matter how overwhelmed they are. Sometimes, they'll make you regret it.

Attachments:
hunch.jpg
hunch.jpg [ 37.69 KiB | Viewed 8658 times ]

Last edited by Ophidian on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: A Ghost Story
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:16 am 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Did they give you any credit for your performance, or just keep smacking knowing they'd won the match?

Post subject: Re: A Ghost Story
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:43 am 
Team Banzai

I got a "GG", but most of them just DCed immediately. A bit anticlimactic actually.

Post subject: Re: Battle Stories
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:03 am 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

I really wish I had the ability to twist words to my advantage...but I'm not an artist or blood suck..err...lawyer...I'm a technical drawings, comprehension, numbers, and hands on kind of guy...

...awesome story Sandy.

Personally, and I have a tough time recalling the details, in MWO the match that comes to mind...much like the match in MW4 where a little luck had me killing several mechs in a Wolfhound in the span of seconds, one match does come to mind. I was in a match where 6 of my teammates died without a single player dealing over 100 damage. I was in a Cicada (the 6 laser one) and the only other survivor was in a light. We were the cappers.

The two of us realized at that point it was either hide, or go down fighting. We decided to fight. Taking on a largely unscathed team, we proceeded to seek out individual mechs who were 'hunting' us. We died, but not before I killed 4 and my ally killed 3....

...two guys couldn't help but exclaim that we were the best light pilots they had ever seen. Given the glowing compliment, I just didn't have it in me to correct the mistake since I was in a Cicada....

...we were fighting 8 Goons in all their TS, ECM, cheese glory.

God I wish I had that match on video or even a single screen shot showing the end of round scores.

Post subject: Re: Battle Stories
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 am 
Team Banzai

Pretty sweet. I only recently got a Cicada 3M, and I have to say I'm not doing great in it. Probably because the lights I face tend to outgun me.

I've been doing well in the heavy class.

Last month I was in Caustic and the team was wiped out except for myself and a cicada (who is both my friend and severely undergunned with machine guns) facing 2 Atlases, a Cata phract, and a Centurion. That whole melee took place around the cluster of big arse rocks near a cap point, and was completely littered with the wrecks of both allies and enemies.

I shouted on comms (in a very cliched manner) for my friend to escape and cap while I held off the team. Well, I mostly did. The Centurion was too fast for me to catch and I had my hands full trying not to die too quickly, so he ended up chasing him all the way across the map before killing him. Me? I blasted apart the Cataphract with autocannon fire and shredded apart one of the Atlases with SRMs to the back. I then dueled with the last Atlas to the death. I pushed him so hard, he started to consistently overheat. I ran out of SRM ammo. My LB10X cannon got scrapped. One of my left arm-mounted lasers were blown off, and two other lasers were destroyed along with the other arm. And he blasted through one of my legs. So I got right in his face so stop him from shooting the other leg and started nibbling him to death with my last medium laser with much screaming and hollering. Needless to say, I didn't win that fight, but it stressed everybody out.

Oh, and then there was the time I actually won a game when fighting off the 5 last mechs by myself and my 2ERPPC/Gauss Cataphract. When my last ally fell, I had been calmly sniping out of upper city. Feeling resigned and deciding to go out with a bang I ducked under a partially collapsed bridge to avoid some missiles and promptly started sending those obligatory "YEAH! YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?! COME GET SOME!" messages. Then I stepped out and immediately killed a hunting K2 with a single lucky shot to his ammo. "YOU WANT SOME OF THIS?!" Then I climbed a short hill and killed a missile catapult with another single blast straight to the cockpit. "COME GET ME". A Raven and a Hunchback cut across the river to attack. One blast crippled the Raven and another two tore the Hunchback apart before either got a shot off. I (slowly) chased down the Raven as he panicked and tried to limp away. I shrugged off his paltry missile and laser fire, crushing him as I passed. The last mech was trying to cap our base, so I slowly made my way to him, all the while broadcasting. "YOU WANT ME?! I'M RIGHT HERE! I'M RIGHT HERE! COME AND FACE ME!"
He didn't but I caught him before he could win. It was a Stalker with 4ERPPCs. We circled each other and pounded each other with lightning like ancient titans, our tread crushing down on the dead, friend and enemy alike. My gauss ran dry and my Cataphract's damage diagram showed more holes than mech, and we both were slapping the override key over and over. But I prevailed, smashing apart first his left side then his right, leaving him lame and unable to fight. I finally shutdown as I put him down. We won. "YEAHHH! GAME OVER!" Then I promptly turned off the game and took a nap. (If it were real, I'd like to imagine the mech's joints melted together leaving a statue, a monument to amount of epicness that had just took place. Sadly, this is not the case.)

This is a very nerve-wracking game at times.

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby