Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby

Post subject: Hi All
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:08 pm 

Good to see that something still remains from the old mech days ;)

Mav
Ahriman Corps

Post subject: Re: Hi All
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:17 am 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Yo Mav!

There's not much left, but we are still standing. Some of us, anyway.

I am not among them, but there are a number of TBers playing the new MW game, and I think there is a contingent in WoT. There may even be a Facebook page out there as well, but I'm not the social media type.

Good to hear from a familiar face from the old days. Not sure I knew you were from LA (according to your bio here), but I was just out there last week. Spent a few nights in Marina Del Rey while checking out Venice, Santa Monica, and Dodger Stadium before heading up the PCH to Santa Barbara, Big Sur, and then on to SF before coming home back east.

How are things?

Gwyd

Post Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:40 am 

sup Gwyd, been a long time. Looks like you hit the California coast pretty good on your trip. I used to work in the Marina and miss the weather terribly. So much nicer than that of the San Fernando Valley! Yeah I haven't touched a mech game in years. The whole MWO thing never really interested me... I was just happy to see a site still up from one of the better mechy units.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:51 am 
Team Banzai Admin/Chump

Long time indeed. I think the last time I talked to you was the MWL Solaris Championships in March 2009. Searching our private archived forum logs, I found this post (by me) about the event, in which you figured prominently:

Quote:
I just successfully defended my Grand Championship to become the first two time (and back to back) GC winner in Solaris history.

8th title overall, broken down as 2 Mediums, 1 Heavy, 1 Assault, 1 Open, 1 All in One, and 2 Grands. (Only the Light title has eluded me.)

We had multiple re-schedules for some of this season's championship matches due to lack of people showing up, hence the delay between the start of the finals and the end (the Open match got scratched altogether). However, tonight we got enough and finished the season. It was a relatively tough room, made up only of pilots who qualified for the divisional finals this season, and included 3 former champions, 2 of whom had multiple titles.

Anyway, the format was 4 drops (light, medium, heavy, assault), with one point for every mech you outlived added up over all four rounds. Highest point total with at least one drop win takes the title. I was 6th in the light drop, and 5th in the mediums, so I thought it was looking pretty bleak. Then I scored a 2nd place in the heavy drop. Going in to the last drop two guys were each 4 points ahead of me, and both of them (Notorious_BMC of Black Dragon Elite and TOMAHAWK of Dark Rift) had drop wins, so in the assaults I not only had to win, I had to beat them both by at least 4 places. Lucky for me, everyone else knew that those guys were way ahead and they got ganked pretty hard off the whistle. (I helped.) Then after that stroke of luck it looked like I was about to get the Malachi Crunch between two Ahriman Corps guys (Maverick and Wolfman). Before Wolf could turn the corner on me, he got blasted by Barbaric Soul. After a couple more kills I didn't see or participate in, me, Mav and Barbs were the last three.

Mav was looking for revenge as I had popped him in the previous round and he was bearing down on me. Then Barbs entered the fray and started first shooting at Mav, then at me when I started to make my getaway. He must have had a better angle on Mav because he stayed with him while I escaped to take advantage of my range. They were both packing LBX20's or CUAC20's to my Large Lasers and Heavy Gauss. I was crit in all 3 torsos so I knew I needed a few free shots on whoever emerged from their fight. Mav popped Barbs. Me and Mav left, tied on points. Win the fight and win the title.

I had range. Mav knew I had range and tried to bait me in to a knife fight. I wasn't biting (had learned my lesson in the prior drop when I walked into an LBX Wildcat with my ranged Marauder). Anyway, we played a slow cat and mouse game for a few minutes with his Daishi and my Hauptmann. Eventually he was at a place where he figured he could hit me enough to kill me because he showed himself. One alpha, one X-pulse aim spoiler, and one alpha later he was dead and I was the champ.

Very cool to see I can still get my hands shaking from this ancient game. Maybe I'll retire now, though sticking around for the Light title is tempting...

Never got that Light title, but I miss those days...

As for California, our weather in the Marina was actually kind of cloudy, but the temperature was pleasant and definitely better than what was going on at home in Philly (90+ degrees and humid as hell). Heading north we got very lucky and had clear skies and 70's all the way, even in SF, which I am told is rare. Drank some great wine and beer, ate some great food, Big Sur is about the coolest place I've seen that's not Hawaii, and hated to come home back to the grind. I'd been to San Diego and San Francisco before, but this was my first time in between, and it's not bad at all.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 pm 

the good old days...lol

I was content with my Medium titles. Of course, I don't think I ever got official credit for them as whoever was putting the info into the site was having issues....think the site was having coding issues for a while...when they found a way to input stuff, they never went back and added the seasons they missed. oh well.

Board index » Public Forums » The Lobby